Dilbilgisi Grammar-6 by saithoca

saithoca

Doçent
Humans and robots will very soon work elbow to elbow on the shop floor, but you will be surprised by ---- is giving the orders.

A) that
B) whom
C) who
D) what
E) whose

saithoca

Doçent
whose değil mi hocam?

Dear Ecece,

I'm sorry that you also have got the answer wrong :) "whose" is used for such POSSESSIVE ADJECTIVES as "my", "his" or "our". That is why "whose" must be followed by a Noun Phrase (NP), but this NP must NOT begin with ARTICLEs, such as "the" or "an" or DETERMINERs, such as "this" or "that".

1- The man [[[WHOSE the wife was ill]]] was very unhappy. [INCORRECT]

2- The man [[[WHOSE wife was ill]]] was very unhappy. [CORRECT]

The Turkish equivalent : Karısı hasta olan adam mutsuzdu.

I hope these examples will give you an idea why WHOSE does not fit in the blank given in the question. If you are still having trouble understanding my explanation in English, I can readily do it in Turkish. Just take it easy.

nusrets

Öğrenci
son kararım whom :) ben kesinlikle whom u işaretlerdim.(grammar de mantıklı açılamalar yapamıyorum hocam kusura bakmayın. kuralları düşünüpte cümleye o şekilde bakınca genelde yanlış yapıyorum ben..genelde ben olsam ne derdim diyerek dolduruyorum bu tür boşluklar :)) )

saithoca

Doçent
son kararım whom :) ben kesinlikle whom u işaretlerdim.(grammar de mantıklı açılamalar yapamıyorum hocam kusura bakmayın. kuralları düşünüpte cümleye o şekilde bakınca genelde yanlış yapıyorum ben..genelde ben olsam ne derdim diyerek dolduruyorum bu tür boşluklar :)) )

ama işte bu düşünceniz iki sorumdan birini doğru birini yanlış yaptırdı. yani yüzde elli şansa bırakmak iyi değil :)

cinnamon

Öğrenci
Who, bir cümlede öznenin yerine kullanılır. Whom ise nesne yerine kullanılır. "---- is giving the orders." yan cümlesinde boşlukla belirtilen yer özneye aittir dolayısıyla cevap who olmalıdır.

saithoca

Doçent
Who, bir cümlede öznenin yerine kullanılır. Whom ise nesne yerine kullanılır. "---- is giving the orders." yan cümlesinde boşlukla belirtilen yer özneye aittir dolayısıyla cevap who olmalıdır.

Sevgili Cinnamon, açıklamanız için teşekkür ederim ama size bir sorum olacak: Aşağıdaki soruda "WHOM" neyin yerini tutuyor?

Wilma was fed up with those naughty boys, all of WHOM had been teasing her for her dark colour ever since she started school.

Üst