+ Konuyu Cevapla
Bulunan 1 den 1 - Toplam 1
What are Nouns?
Grammer Forumunda What are Nouns? Konusunu İncelemektesinizThe simple definition is: a person, place or thing. Here are some examples: * person ...
- 07-11-2010, 12:34 #1
What are Nouns?
The simple definition is: a person, place or thing.
Here are some examples:
* person: man, woman, teacher, John, Mary
* place: home, office, town, countryside, America
* thing: table, car, banana, money, music, love, dog, monkey
The problem with this definition is that it does not explain why "love" is a noun but can also be a verb.
Another (more complicated) way of recognizing a noun is by its:
1. Noun Ending
There are certain word endings that show that a word is a noun, for example:
* -ity > nationality
* -ment > appointment
* -ness > happiness
* -ation > relation
* -hood > childhood
But this is not true for the word endings of all nouns. For example, the noun "spoonful" ends in -ful, but the adjective "careful" also ends in -ful.
2. Position in Sentence
We can often recognise a noun by its position in the sentence.
Nouns often come after a determiner (a determiner is a word like a, an, the, this, my, such):
* a relief
* an afternoon
* the doctor
* this word
* my house
* such stupidity
Nouns often come after one or more adjectives:
* a great relief
* a peaceful afternoon
* the tall, Indian doctor
* this difficult word
* my brown and white house
* such crass stupidity
3. Function in a Sentence
Nouns have certain functions (jobs) in a sentence, for example:
* subject of verb: Doctors work hard.
* object of verb: He likes coffee.
* subject and object of verb: Teachers teach students.
But the subject or object of a sentence is not always a noun. It could be a pronoun or a phrase. In the sentence "My doctor works hard", the noun is "doctor" but the subject is "My doctor".
Son düzenleyen Fırat, 07-11-2010 saat 23:58.My wound neither bleeds, nor heals..The gone forgets, the one behind always hurts...I can't escape, your smell is everywhere..
Rafet El Roman - Senden Sonra
- Grammer forum içinde, yazan FıratCevap: 0Son Mesaj: 07-11-2010, 13:49
- Grammer forum içinde, yazan FıratCevap: 0Son Mesaj: 07-11-2010, 13:15
- Grammer forum içinde, yazan FıratCevap: 0Son Mesaj: 07-11-2010, 13:08
- Grammer forum içinde, yazan FıratCevap: 0Son Mesaj: 07-11-2010, 12:45
- Grammer forum içinde, yazan FıratCevap: 0Son Mesaj: 07-11-2010, 12:40
Bu Konu için Etiketler