+ Konuyu Cevapla
Bulunan 1 den 1 - Toplam 1
Simple Past Tense
Grammer Forumunda Simple Past Tense Konusunu İncelemektesinizHow do we make the Simple Past Tense? I sang. To make the simple past ...
- 31-10-2010, 23:59 #1
Simple Past Tense
How do we make the Simple Past Tense?
To make the simple past tense, we use:
* past form only
* auxiliary did + base form
Here you can see examples of the past form and base form for irregular verbs and regular verbs:
The structure for positive sentences in the simple past tense is:
subject + main verb ( past )
The structure for negative sentences in the simple past tense is:
subject + did + not + main verb
The structure for question sentences in the simple past tense is:
did + subject + main verb
The auxiliary verb did is not conjugated. It is the same for all persons (I did, you did, he did etc). And the base form and past form do not change. Look at these examples with the main verbs go and work:
Exception! The verb to be is different. We conjugate the verb to be (I was, you were, he/she/it was, we were, they were); and we do not use an auxiliary for negative and question sentences. To make a question, we exchange the subject and verb. Look at these examples:
How do we use the Simple Past Tense?
We use the simple past tense to talk about an action or a situation - an event - in the past. The event can be short or long.
Here are some short events with the simple past tense:
Here are some long ]events with the simple past tense:
Notice that it does not matter how long ago the event is: it can be a few minutes or seconds in the past, or millions of years in the past. Also it does not matter how long the event is. It can be a few milliseconds (car explosion) or millions of years (Jurassic period).
We use the simple past tense when:
* the event is in the past
* the event is completely finished
* we say (or understand) the time and/or place of the event
Here are some more examples:
* I lived in that house when I was young.
* He didn't like the movie.
* What did you eat for dinner?
* John drove to London on Monday.
* Mary did not go to work yesterday.
* Did you play tennis last week?
* I was at work yesterday.
* We were not late (for the train).
* Were you angry?
Note that when we tell a story, we usually use the simple past tense. We may use the past continuous tense to "set the scene", but we almost always use the simple past tense for the action. Look at this example of the beginning of a story:
"The wind was howling around the hotel and the rain was pouring down. It was cold. The door opened and James Bond entered. He took off his coat, which was very wet, and ordered a drink at the bar. He sat down in the corner of the lounge and quietly drank his..."
Son düzenleyen Fırat, 02-03-2011 saat 01:03.My wound neither bleeds, nor heals..The gone forgets, the one behind always hurts...I can't escape, your smell is everywhere..
Rafet El Roman - Senden Sonra
- Grammer forum içinde, yazan FıratCevap: 0Son Mesaj: 01-11-2010, 00:53
- Grammer forum içinde, yazan FıratCevap: 0Son Mesaj: 01-11-2010, 00:43
- Grammer forum içinde, yazan FıratCevap: 0Son Mesaj: 01-11-2010, 00:32
- Grammer forum içinde, yazan FıratCevap: 0Son Mesaj: 01-11-2010, 00:19
- Grammer forum içinde, yazan FıratCevap: 0Son Mesaj: 31-10-2010, 22:29
Bu Konu için Etiketler